Post-Conference Thoughts and What’s New in the December Online Issue

If you were fortunate enough to be in Phoenix for AASL last month, I imagine you, like me, are still riding high after a great conference full of new ideas, new connections, and new energy. And if you’re like me, you’re also desperate to find a spare minute to reflect, process, and start putting some of those new ideas into action!

The always energetic School Library Connection Editorial Advisory Board got together to discuss what’s exciting them in the profession, brainstorm solutions to challenges, and begin to set a course for the 2018–2019 volume. I was especially pleased to welcome Lucy Santos Green and Carolyn Foote to the board for the first time.

In the SLC filming studio, meanwhile, we were lucky enough to welcome a steady procession of amazing school library luminaries, including Ann Ewbank, Heather Moorefield-Lang, Elizabeth Rush, Michelle Luhtala, Jackie Whiting, Diana Rendina, and Blanche Woolls. Also on film, our own Sharon Coatney convened a panel of legends—Debbie Abilock, Helen Adams, and Vi Harada—for an in-depth exploration of leadership. We look forward to sharing all of this with our subscribers in the near future!

And speaking of the future, this month online we’re debuting our new Future Ready issue—don’t miss out! Heather Lister draws our attention to the gradual but potentially problematic drift she’s noticed in the meaning of the term “future ready,” which she sees as having drifted away from the Framework itself and toward a more generic statement about innovation within the profession of school librarianship. Heather urges us to use the Future Ready Librarians Framework as an advocacy tool, while also clarifying for stakeholders that the Framework represents only a small slice of the librarians’ overall contribution to the school and student learning. Susan Gauthier, Anita Cellucci, and Stony Evans each offer us more insight and inspiration to get Future Ready. Elissa Malespina gives us a round-up of augmented reality apps. And don’t miss Suzanna Panter’s reflection on developing an open-source class module for educating current and future school administrators about the role of the school librarian.

About the Author

David Paige, Managing Editor, School Library Connection
David Paige is managing editor of the magazine School Library Connection, as well as books and electronic resources for library professionals.

Join the Discussion